Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No, no, no!

Good morning my green apple Zots! It's been a while, hasn't it? Well, while I'm here, I might as well not waste it.

Do you ever have any problems with your art? I mean, not like an accidental blob of paint right in the middle of it, or an ink spillage on a beautiful face (both of which I have done numerous times- don't even get me started on mixing skin tones. ugh.), I'm talking about a personal disliking of a finished piece.

Yes, my friends, I am talking about that little monster in your head. That little critical, nagging feeling you get when you look over something you've created, or done. It stops whatever happy thoughts you have floating around in your head and sneaks up from behind them and twists them, so that a good thought they are no longer.

It's stupid looking. I should have put more (insert art supply) there. His face is out of proportion! Gosh, don't you understand any anatomy?! These are the most common thoughts that dash so rambunctiously through my head when I've finished a piece. What does your head tell you? My guess is that it's pretty similar. I'm going to help you with that.

First of all, in your imaginative, beautiful minds, I want you to imagine the beast that is your resident critic. Make it as ugly, as rotten, and as stinky as you want. Then, I want you to inhale. Then, (if you aren't around anyone who might stare) exhale as if your blowing a big gust of wind. Imagine that stinky ole monster blowing away, far away, and finally allowing your mind to be rid of it.

Now, don't get me wrong, that monster will come back for revenge every once in a while. When it does, just repeat the exercise. What should happen is, if you're really imaginative, each time he shows up in your mind, he should get smaller and smaller. Eventually, you should barely even see him.

But onto the other stuff now, that monster doesn't have anything on us! So how should we approach an open canvas? Courageously.

I want you to make art with a new state of mind. You know how sometimes you want everything to be perfect? Well, not anymore. You will want your art to turn out exactly how you want it in your head, right? Well, I want you to throw away those expectations right now. Just right over your shoulder or into the trash can.

Art is beautiful just the way you make it. It may not seem like it, but art is a visual expression. Whatever your expression may be, it is perfect! That is what art is! Embrace the imperfections of art, that's what makes it absolutely perfect!

So the next time you go to paint, I want you to do something for me. Put on some music, and just let the brush and colors flow. Be open to anything that comes out. Trust me, it'll be amazing- just the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment